Holding Up The Universe Book Review


One thing I am really trying to get back into is reading. I used to read all the time when i was younger and then I just stopped, probably because I had less time and started exams and all that fun stuff. I also got really into performing arts so the only reading I would really do were scripts but there's nothing like a good book. 

Some of you may have read my previous book review of  All the Bright Places which is another book by Jennifer Niven, can  you tell I love this author? That post did quite well and therefore i'm back with another book review. If you haven't seen that post you can find it here. Please excuse the really bad pictures as this was one of my first blog posts. This book is my all time favourite and so it would be hard to beat it. The film recently came out on Netflix and although it still made me cry...a lot...it was slightly disappointing as it wasn't true to the book and skipped past important parts.

Anyway, enough with that book and lets focus on Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven.


The Synopsis

The story follows the lives of two teens attending the same school. Libby Strout and Jack Masselin. Libby was once known as the girl who had to be cut out of her home due to her size. This is something that haunts her and in the book she starts going back to public school and is afraid people will recognise her for this. Jack is your typical lad, but what people don't know is that he has a disorder which means he can't recognise faces, this gets him in some trouble with his friends but people pass this behaviour on him just being a bit of a jerk.
Libby and Jack meet in high school but unfortunately through a cruel game which belittles bigger women. This results in community service and the two form a bond no one would expect. The story follows the relationship between the two as well as their personal problems.

I don't want to give away too much of the story because where is the fun in that? I'm no expert at writing or describing books so I hope that description was okay! 

My Rating : ★★★★☆

I am a sucker for these typical teen love stories, so obviously I was going to love this book. The thing that made this book different is that it tackled issues such as weight and opened my eyes to a disorder I had never heard of before. I didn't know that some people can't recognise faces and therefore not only has  this book entertained me it has also educated me and allowed me to see what it is like for people who suffer from this. The book didn't draw me in as much as All the Bright Places and I didn't feel as connected to these characters but I still overall loved the story and message behind this book. I genuinely looked forward to reading this book on the bus on the way to college each morning. If you are into teen romance novels I recommend giving this a read as you will get more out of it then just your typical soppy love story and I think that is really important for young people to read about.

Have you read this book, what are your thoughts? 
I would love some recommendations based off this book so please comment some below!
Caitlin
xxxx

0 comments